Let's not do that (or maybe just not quite so much of that) in 2014.
Instead, we'd like to suggest a few tips to help you "health up" your holidays and get a strong start to the New Year. Our complete list can be found in Veritey's Holiday Cheat Sheet.
- EAT LESS SUGAR. Sugar is an addictive substance, and has even been scientifically linked to depression. Too much sugar leads to obesity, diabetes and tooth decay, as well as feeling a lack of energy.
- EAT LESS MEAT. Add Meatless Mondays to your week. Try whole grains, beans and crunchy veggies as a healthy dinner option. Research shows that a low-fat, plant-based diet can help prevent diseases like heart disease, cancer, diabetes and more, plus help with weight loss.
- EXERCISE MORE. Make a commitment to exercise smarter. For example, focus on interval burst training and get real results with only 20 minutes of hard exercise 3 times per week.
- DETOX YOUR KITCHEN. The New Year is a good time to take stock of what you have and give away what you don't need. Detox your kitchen by phasing out non-stick pans and certain plastics, plus bringing in non-toxic cleaning products. Check out some of Veritey's favorite products.
- RECYCLE YOUR CLOSET. Stop buying any new clothing or accessories for the month of January 2014. Instead, buy used or thrift items or swap, and give up the mall. Take the PLEDGE today.
One step at a time, in the right direction! Happy Holidays.
For even more ideas on how you can Health Up in 2014 take a look at these great ideas from our Healthy and Eco Living experts. Remember that your health relies on a healthy planet so follow these expert tips for a healthier world and a healthier you!
Here are 4 Keys to a Healthy Life from Shane Shirley Smith
Here's a post on Having A Green New Year from Turning Back The Clock
Follow these 5 Steps to Greener Living from Groovy Green Living
These 7 Steps to a More Sustainable Year from Good Girl Gone Green
And for many people just recycling can get confusing! So here are the details from the Greening of Westford and also one on how to recycle those oddities.
If after all of this reading, you still don't know where to begin, here's your starting point from Eco-novice
PLEASE JOIN US FOR OUR TWITTER PARTY ON HOW TO HEALTH UP IN 2014 IN DECEMBER 18 AT 10PM EST / 7PM PST - RSVP & SIGN UP TO WIN PRIZES HERE.